Japan Visa

Citizens of the following countries can enter Japan between 30 to 90 days without a visa: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Malta, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, U.S.A, United Kingdom, and Uruguay. Brunei nationals are allowed a visa-free stay for 14 days only.

Students in elementary, junior and senior high schools in China can go to Japan without visas for the purpose of school excursion. But their stay in Japan should not exceed 30 days.

Japan also grants working holiday visas to citizens aged between 18 and 30 from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Korea, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and Ireland.

But if you exceed the maximum stay (90 days for US Citizens) or wish to extend, you will be required to get a visa.

Types of Japan Visa

Presently Japan has two kinds of visa: (1) sealed-it has a seal stuck within the passport (2) stamped--a visa stamp is marked on the passport. For foreigners who do not have a Japan-recognized passport, they can apply for a special travel document for aliens.

How to Apply

To apply for a Japan visa, the applicant must show up in person at a Japanese embassy or consulate. There is no proxy system. The documents you should present depend on the purpose of your visit.

General Requirements

You should submit these documents regardless of the purpose of your visit:
-two 45mm x 45mm passport-type photos taken within the last six months two official visa application forms (get your copy at the embassy or consulate)
-documents certifying the purpose of the visit

Requirements for a Short-Term Stay

For a short stay you should present the following:

- a plane or boat ticket for Japan , or a written guarantee from a travel agency
- a valid passport
- a proof that you have enough funds for the length of the trip

For Business Purposes

If you plan to invest in Japan, you need to submit these:

-A business plan, copies of the company registration, and a statement of profit and loss
-Materials showing the number of full-time staff, and case of more than two full time workers, copies of resident cards or certificates of alien registration and documents on the staff's salary.
-Outline and location of the business office.
-If you take on a managerial or high level post of a foreign firm in Japan, the following documents are required:
-A business plan, copies of the company registration, and a statement of profit and loss.
-Material showing the number of full-time staff except the foreign national concerned, and in cases where there are two or more staff, copies of resident cards or certificates of alien registration and documents on wage payments of the staff concerned.
-Material showing the outline of the business office.
-Documents certifying the activity, its duration, the position, and the remuneration of the person concerned.

Certificate of Eligibility before a Japan Visa

If you are coming from a country that is not covered by the visa-free waiver, you should apply for a Certificate of Eligibility before you can get a Japan Visa. A Certificate of Eligibility is issued before a visa application by a Japanese regional immigration. The Certificate serves as a proof that the applicant meets the conditions of the Immigration Control Act. The Certificate confirms that your activity in Japan is legal and is covered by the Temporary Visitor Status. Getting a Certificate of Eligibility cuts your Japan Visa and immigration application time. But a Certificate of Eligibility does not guarantee a Japan Visa if other documents are tampered, and if terms change between the applicant and his or her sponsor.

For more information on the various visa requirements visit:
US Passport Service Guide
Project Visa

If you are travelling to Japan and are a passport holder here are some additional passport resources and links:
US Passport Information
New USA Passports
Passport Renewal
Lost a Passport
Add Passport Pages
Passport Name Change
Second Passport has the largest selection of Hotels in Japan and discount flights to Japan. We work closely with our partners including Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and

Top Destinations in Asia

Flights to China Flights to India Flights to Japan Flights to Singapore Flights to Hong Kong Flights to South Korea Flights to Indonesia Flights to Malaysia Flights to Nepal Flights to Kazakhstan Flights to Cambodia Flights to Thailand

Top Destinations Near Japan

Flights to South Korea Flights to Singapore Flights to China Flights to Hong Kong Flights to Laos Flights to North Korea Hotels in Guangzhou Hotels in Shenyang Hotels in Hong Kong Hotels in Taipei Hotels in Seoul Hotels in Busan