China Visa

Passport holders from Singapore, Brunei and Japan, who visit China for 15 days or less do not need a visa.

A China visa is not required from citizens of Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Iceland who pass through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport in Shanghai. However, they should:

-have a valid passport;
-have a ticket;
-have booked seats;
-stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours;
-have a visa for their final destination.

All nationalities can get a visa on arrival in Shenzhen except citizens of the USA. The visa is valid for only for 5 days around the Shenzhen area. This visa is issued at the Hong Kong border and Shenzhen airport.

China grants travel, business, crew, and student visa. The maximum stay on a tourist visa is 30 days.

China Visa Requirements

For a tourist visa to China, Chinese Embassy and Consulates require the following:

- a valid passport with 6 (tourist/business) or 12 (work/student) months validity remaining;
- at least one blank visa page;
- a recent passport photo (black and white or color);
- completed China visa application form;
- payment (cash, money order or bank check only);
- a self-addressed prepaid return envelope with postage (FedEx, UPS, Express Mail are preferred);
- proof of your round-trip air tickets and hotel reservations;
- a cover sheet that tells the content of the envelope, your contact telephone number and your request.

US Visa Applicants

Citizens of the USA need to present the following upon application:

- original, signed United States passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity;
- one (1) Passport-type photograph;
- for Multiple Entry, a letter clearly explaining why a multiple entry visa is necessary. The Chinese Embassy may grant or reject multiple entry visa.

If a traveling child has Chinese parents, the applicant must provide a copy of the child's birth certificate, a copy of the parents' Chinese passports and evidence of parents' status in the United States.

Business Visa

Americans who want to get a business visa need to show the following:

- original, signed United States passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity;
- one (1)Passport-type photograph;
- a business letter from the sending company in the US and a partner company in China. The letter should be printed on a company letterhead stationery, addressed to the Embassy of China, and signed by the CEO or a top-ranking officer of the company.

Moreover, business letters from the US firm should have the following:

- a written introduction for the applicant (detail employment status/position held in the company by applicant);
- disclosure of the nature of the business to be held (i.e. meetings, contract negotiations, etc.) and the names and locations of companies to be contacted in China;
- details of the type and validity of the visa (ie. one year multiple entry business visa);
- proof of sufficient funds for travel.

Student Visa

Many Americans study in China. If you want to study in China, prepare these documents upon visa application:

- original, signed United States passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity;

- one (1)Passport-type photograph;
- form JW101 or JW202, original and photocopy of the approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW101 or JW202) issued by a legitimate Chinese school;
- a Foreign Student Visa Application Form signed by both the applicant and the school;
- original enrollment Letter from the school in China signed by both the applicant and the school.

For applicants who were born in China but are living abroad or in Taiwan and Hong Kong, they need to show their names written in Chinese characters and a used Chinese visa, or a page from a Chinese, Taiwanese, or Hong Kong passport.


The new China travel visa fees are as follows: Single entry $ 130.00, Double entry $ 130.00, Multiple Entries (6 months) $130.00, Multiple Entries (12 months): $130.00.

For more information on the various visa requirements visit:
US Passport Service Guide
Project Visa

If you are travelling to China and are a passport holder here are some additional passport resources and links:
US Passport Information
New USA Passports
Passport Renewal
Lost a Passport
Add Passport Pages
Passport Name Change
Second Passport has the largest selection of Hotels in China and discount flights to china. We work closely with our partners including Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and

Top Destinations in Asia

Flights to India Flights to South Korea Flights to China Flights to Japan Flights to Singapore Flights to Hong Kong Flights to Indonesia Flights to Malaysia Flights to Nepal Flights to Kazakhstan Flights to Cambodia Flights to Thailand

Top Destinations Near China

Flights to South Korea Flights to Singapore Flights to Japan Flights to Hong Kong Flights to Laos Flights to Macau Hotels in Hong Kong Hotels in Shenyang Hotels in Taipei Hotels in Tokyo Hotels in Busan Hotels in Osaka